The Senior Ministry, also called “the 49’ers”, focuses on those who are in the upper years of their lives. As we enter this particular time in our lives, this ministry tries to show that we are not “over the hill”. Our lives can continue to have worth, meaning and purpose. All seniors are invited whether married, widowed, or single.
Our major activity is a noon carry-in meal on the second Wednesday of every month. We are fortunate to have experienced cooks and bakers, which makes this eating experience outstanding. After the meal we may participate in one of the following activities.
• Take part in some service projects, i.e. updating the church library.
• Go to some point of interest using our church bus.
• Take part in a special program or presentation.
• Divide into groups and play dominoes or card games.
• Visit the sick and shut-ins.
Older adults are invited and encouraged to participate and serve in every aspect of our church life. This includes, but is not limited, to the following:
• Teaching and participating in Bible Class
• Attending a Small Group Bible Study with fellowship
• Serving in our men’s or women’s ministries
• Working with children and youth
• Mentoring younger adults
• Going on short-term mission trips
• Serving during our worship assemblies
• Providing support and prayer for those in need
• Participating in various service projects of the church and family
• Visiting new members, shut-ins and those in hospitals
• Working with our fellowship ministry to plan and provide activities that build community within the church
• Volunteer in the church office with day-to-day projects that require an extra hand
God values Older Adults ...and so Do We!
• Wisdom is to be respected (Job 12:12)
• Productivity is to be valued (Psalm 92: 12-14)
• Learning is to be continued (Titus 2:2-3)
• Motivation is to be encouraged (Philippians 3:12-14)
• Renewal is to be nurtured (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)
• Faith is to be passed along (Psalm 145:3-4)
• Goals are to be achieved (Revelation 2: 10)
Older Adult Resources
• A Deepening Love Affair: The Gift of God in Later Life by J. M.Thibault.
• Forty-Six: A Study for Midlife Adults Who Want to Make a Difference by R. H. Gentzler, Jr., and C. K. Miller
• Growing Old in Christ edited by S. Hauerwas, et. al.
• Mature Years, a quarterly publication from Abingdon Press.
• The Significant Second Half by Greg Loney
Jim & Judy Feldman